The Club's History
Founded on 12th December 1863, The Danish Club is the oldest foreign club in London and the oldest Danish Club outside Denmark. Its patron is HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark who has visited the Club on several occasions.
The Club's first members originally met at the Morland Hotel in Soho. In 1918 the Club secured its own premises in Albany Courtyard, but moved to 62 Knightsbridge in 1922. This remained the Club's address until 1998 when the lease expired. In the following years the Club has been resident at various clubs, presently at Club Quarters by Trafalgar Square.
Over the years many prominent Danes have visited the Club, including fairy-tale writer Hans Christian Andersen, the poet Holger Drachman, the literary critic Georg Brandes, the opera singer Lauritz Melchior, the scientist Niels Bohr, PM Clement Attlee, many Danish Prime Ministers, and a number of Royals.